The NAACP was founded February 12, 1909 and is the oldest, largest and most widely recognized grassroots-based civil rights organization.The Northwest Arkansas Branch of the NAACP was chartered through the efforts of Mr. John L Colbert. Through his vision and activism, the NWA Branch #60 AC of the NAACP charter with a record 132 members on October 19, 2013. Dedicated to improving the political, educational, social, and economic status of minorities and eliminating racial prejudice, the Branch’s members generously donate their time towards these efforts.
The inaugural charter luncheon was held on February 9, 2014 at the Metroplex Event Center in Rogers. The Branch was pleased to have in attendance, NAACP Arkansas State President, Mr. Dale Charles; Keynote Speaker, Hilary O. Shelton who served as the Vice President for Advocacy/Director to the NAACP’s Washington Bureau was the Keynote Speaker; and local area officials.
The Branch’s focus is “Onward and Upward” in pursuit of achieving social justice in Northwest Arkansas.
2016 Executive Committee
President: John L Colbert
Secretary: J’onnelle Colbert-Diaz
Assistant Secretary: Cynthia Cooper
1st Vice-President: Shawn Muldrow
2nd Vice-President: Charisa Burkhead
3rd Vice-President: Myra McKenzie-Harris
Treasurer: Chris Smith
- Communication, Press and Publicity: Joseph Daniels
- Community Coordination: Dr. Tridai Taylor
- Education, Youth Work and Young Adult: Dr. Coby Davis
- Finance and Freedom Fund: Chris Smith
- Health: Jean-Louis Gottfried
- Political Action and Legal Redress: Genell Bond
- Membership, Life Membership and Women In NAACP: Dana Jordan
- Economic Development, Housing, Labor and Industry: Monique Jones & Angela Rockmore